In the supply chain, 100% of integrated producers receive visits and technical assistance from the Company. During the supply process, checklists are applied to close lots and, at the end, a lot form is entered into records that are held by the Company, containing key production information.
All advisory and training actions carried out by Seara are adopted by poultry as well as pork producers, through work by around 500 extension agents and veterinarians who make technical visits to guarantee that all suppliers adopt practices and structures suited to production and in compliance with necessary environmental laws.
Formal monitoring between the Company and integrator is stipulated in the producer integration contract, which is in line with Law 13.288/2016. A group of checklists, divided by theme, are applied to all integrated producers, with a variable frequency, according to the topic’s relevance. In all of these processes, if any failure to comply with the quality or sustainability criteria is found, the appropriate sanctions are applied.
Seara wants its raw materials suppliers to be partners in business. That is why it develops activities, in line with the use of best social and environmental practices across the value chain, a measure that assures continued enhancement of the quality of inputs that arrive to the Company.
In late 2019, the Company had nearly 9,000 integrated production suppliers in Brazil.
Seara is an active participant in forums and debates held by trade associations in order to influence dialogs of importance to the supply chain.
The Company is a member of the Brazilian Animal Protein Association (ABPA) and of state associations and is a participant in technical meetings at the Ministry of Agriculture (MAPA), in multi-sector forums like the Workshop on Antimicrobial Resistance, Commissions for oversight, development and conciliation of integration (CADECs), in projects done in partnership with the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa – Poultry and Pork), and at Universities, including URGS, IFC – Concórdia (SC) and Araquari (SC). Among the most relevant topics for the chain are housing of parent stock in individual cages, surgical castration of piglets and tail docking. See more in Animal welfare.
Seara works in an integrated fashion with producer families to guarantee the origin of poultry and hogs (which can also be acquired, to a lesser extent, through purchases from independent producers). Seara is committed to providing the inputs needed for animals to be raised safely and healthily; in addition, the Company provides advice on production management, environmental practices and animal welfare.
Production costs in the system are also shared. The producer is responsible for 7% – which corresponds to infrastructure, manpower and electricity, for example. Seara bears the remaining 93% of costs, as they relate to supplying feed, chicks, medications, technical assistance and transportation, among other things.
Agriculture fosters investments in sustainable technologies that offer the chance for activities to be done at a lower cost and with increased efficiency. Seara provides financial incentives to transform conventional aviaries into automated aviaries, developing compensation policies that help to maintain cash balances for partner integrated producers over the investment’s entire amortization period. The Company moreover develops logistics projects, providing the chance to share the gains resulting from implementation of competitive differentials.
Super Agro Program
Created in 2017, the goal of Super Agro is to consolidate the JBS Culture and establish the Seara brand in Integration and in the Community, with a range of audiences, such as integrated producers, extension agents, managers and Agriculture team members. There are two fronts of action: the Agriculture Extension Award and the Best Producers Award.
The former is geared toward formation of high-performing, motivated and competitive teams. They are recognized for excellence in practices and for rural extension results, contributing to attracting and retaining the best professionals and to improving productivity in the poultry and pork chain. Approximately 500 agricultural technicians and veterinary medical officers, who work with rural extension activities at poultry and hogs units, participate in this award.
The second front of action is focused on the relationship between the integrated producer and the Company, with monthly and annual recognition of producers who have the best results and current management practices, motivation and retention of producers, contributing to attracting new producers and to appreciation of the integration system in the community.